Gerald M. Gordon< Back to Our professionals
Gerald M. Gordon is a founding partner and chairman of the firm’s Business Restructuring & Bankruptcy Department. As one of the most influential and accomplished attorneys in Nevada, Mr. Gordon remains a prominent figure in the courtroom and business community. Throughout his years of legal service, the firm’s Business Restructuring & Bankruptcy Department has become synonymous with business restructuring and bankruptcy in the Southwest.
Mr. Gordon has been integrally involved in all aspects of the firm’s complex insolvency practice. Mr. Gordon and the Business Restructuring & Bankruptcy Department have acted as lead counsel, representing debtors, committees, trustees, and creditors on many significant representations.
Mr. Gordon has lectured extensively on both gaming and non-gaming related bankruptcy issues, including before the National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges.
- Dynamic International Airways – Represent Dynamic in its successful restructuring in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Middle District of North Carolina.
- Chico Health – Successfully restructured a health imaging business in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of California.
- Majestic Gaming – Represented the company’s principal in avoidance litigation and other actions brought in bankruptcy court in Delaware and prevailed before the 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals resulting in a precedential decision regarding property of a bankruptcy estate.
- Mountain Shadows Resort – Represented Mountain Shadows Golf Club and the shuttered Mountain Shadows Resort in their Chapter 11 reorganizations in Arizona, successfully defeated early attempts by the secured creditor to dismiss the cases, for relief from the automatic stay to foreclosure, and to oppose interim financing, along with significant opposition from other creditors and parties ranging from dissenting homeowners to the township. Through extensive negotiations with creditors, the Business Restructuring and Bankruptcy Group successfully confirmed a plan of reorganization that paid all creditors in full, allowed equity to retain ownership, and obtained all necessary approvals for development, paving the way for the reorganized debtor to break ground on the revitalization of the Mountain Shadows Resort.
- Ahern Rentals – Represented Ahern Rentals in its successful Chapter 11 proceedings which allowed for the restructuring of more than $650 million in debt and the retention of ownership by the Ahern family.
- Las Vegas Monorail – Represented the Monorail in successfully restructuring $650 million of debt. This representation required extensive involvement of other Gordon Silver practice groups, including securities and tax analysis given the non-profit status of the Monorail and the debt being conduit bond financing sponsored by the State of Nevada.
- Jerry’s Nugget Casino – Represented Jerry’s Nugget in its ongoing Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceeding. A plan of reorganization was confirmed retaining existing ownership and providing for debt restructuring.
- Hooters Hotel & Casino – Represented the Company in its successful restructuring which resulted in the lender taking ownership of the property and payment in full of unsecured creditors.
- Riviera Hotel & Casino – Represented the Riviera Hotel & Casino in two Chapter 11 cases. The first in 1990 resulted in a reorganization of both the ownership and debt. The second in 2010 again resulted in the restructuring of approximately $200 million of debt into a combination of debt and equity, with unsecured creditors being paid in full.
- Herbst Gaming – Represented Herbst Gaming in Chapter 11 with regard to the restructuring of more than $1.2 billion of debt, with unsecured creditors being paid in full.
- Swift Air – Represented the dip lender in this charter airline case in the US Bankruptcy Court in Arizona. Upon confirmation of a plan of reorganization, the dip lender assumed ownership of the reorganized debtor and Gordon Silver now represented the reorganized debtor.
- Sunworld International Airways – Represented the company as a debtor in Chapter 11.
- MaxJet Airlines – Represented the primary lessor of planes in this Chapter 11 case administered in Delaware.
- Pegasus Gold Corp. – Represented this international gold mining company through its successful Chapter 11 proceeding.
- Mega-C Power Corp. – Represented the Chapter 11 trustee in successfully recovering for shareholders the value of the intellectual property of the debtor wrongfully transferred to a third party. The transactions occurred in Canada and required extensive extra-territorial services on the part of Gordon Silver.
- USA Commercial Mortgage – In a Chapter 11 case, represented a committee of investors in notes and deeds of trust serviced by the debtor.
- Enron – Represented Harrah’s in the Enron Chapter 11 case in a litigation seeking more than $50 million.
- London Fog – Represented the lender in this Chapter 11 case for the manufacturer of London Fog clothing.
- Represent successful petitioning creditors in two involuntary bankruptcy proceedings involving extensive avoidable transactions and obtained on their behalf an $85,000,000 non-dischargeable judgment.
- Represent potential defendants in a bankruptcy proceedings involving significant Ponzi scheme transactions.
Mr. Gordon has been voted among the Best Lawyers® in Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights Law for 25 years, and received the highest Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating for his ethics and legal ability.
- AV® Certification Rating by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Best Lawyers® 1987 – 2021 for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights, Insolvency and Reorganization Law, Las Vegas
- Mountain States Super Lawyers®, 2007 – 2019; Listed as Top 100 from 2012 – 2015
- Nevada State Bar Association, Member
- Clark County Bar Association, Member
- University of Nevada of Las Vegas Foundation, Trustee
- Anti-Defamation League, Regional Board Member
- Congregation Ner Tamid, Past President
- Nevada, 1973
- J.D., University of California, Los Angeles, 1973
- B.A., University of Nevada, Las Vegas, 1970
- U.S. District Court, Nevada
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, District of Nevada
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, District of Arizona
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Central District of California
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Delaware
- U.S. District, Western District of Missouri
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Middle District of North Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- Author, “Basic Bankruptcy in Nevada and Creditors Rights and Protection of Security Interest in Bankruptcy”
- Co-Author, “Bankruptcy Trends in the Gaming Field”, Journal of Bankruptcy Law and Practice, May/June 2001